Radio School for Hands-on Learners
BMG is a nationwide radio school for aspiring radio broadcasters that uses a mentor-apprentice model for learning. Every radio course is custom designed around your availability and targets your individual goals and interests.
Because every student learns at a different pace than the next person, your training is one-on-one. Your class consists of you – the apprentice – and a nearby working broadcaster, who serves as your mentor-instructor.
How it works:
Training Location Selection
- You submit 4-5 radio stations in your area in which you would like to train.
- Choose between our three month or six month radio training program.
- Inform BMG of the days and times you’re available for training. Most BMG apprentices will train at the station 1-2 times weekly, schedule permitting.
- BMG will then schedule an interview for you with an experienced broadcaster from one of your station preferences right in your locale.
- If accepted for training after your interview, this radio station is where you’ll train, and the broadcaster who interviewed you will be your mentor.
How Training Works
Because every BMG apprentice has a unique schedule with varying degrees of availability, your training days and times are determined by you. We suggest that each apprentice set aside at least 10 hours per week for show hosting, studying your training materials, and radio station training.
Your typical training week goes like this:
- You’ll read and watch training materials at your convenience, and complete short assignments.
- Information learned from completed assignments will immediately be applied to the weekly radio show you host.
- During your session at the radio station, your mentor will discuss and critique your radio show, and offer you pointers to practice. While there, you’ll observe how live radio is produced and presented, and serve as an apprentice to your mentor in various aspects at the radio station.
- Upon successful completion of your training sessions and other assignments, you’ll receive a broadcasting certificate for the equivalent of 240 hours of radio training, along with references and industry contacts.
Why Your Training Works
BMG’s radio school is like an intensive radio course you would take in college, with the following few notable exceptions.
- The radio course you take in college would have you meet with your professor in a classroom setting. Through BMG’s radio school, your classroom is inside a real radio station, while your “professor” is a working broadcaster who provides you with a unique and effective experience that really prepares you to break into broadcasting.
- While a college radio course and BMG’s radio school both provide you with several types of training materials, books, and tutorials to supplement your mentor’s instruction, all BMG apprentices host their own radio show during training.
- You’ll benefit by having a professional broadcaster assist you in developing and refining your own radio show during training. This serves to quickly grow your skills and greatly shorten your learning curve.
- Real world training. When hosting your own radio show, you’re developing the real-world skills required to be hired.
- Real world networking. By training in a local radio station, you’re developing a network of influential industry contacts. These same contacts have the ability to recommend you for hire, or to offer you employment themselves.
Job Placement Assistance
Every BMG radio school graduate who successfully completes their radio course receives a certificate of completion. In addition, we offer lifetime job placement assistance for graduates of our six month Ultra-Insider training program. This is not a guarantee of a job, as federal law prohibits all schools from guaranteeing employment for their graduates.
Your chances of being offered employment or being recommended by your mentor for hire are directly related to your training efforts. If you’re punctual, come prepared, are passionate about radio, and play well with others, your chances of landing employment will exponentially increase.
Click the radio course below that interests you most, and learn more about the customized training program that BMG’s radio school has waiting for you.