Not all radio broadcasting schools in Florida are equal. You’ll discover that when BMG places you for hands-on training in a nearby radio station that you choose.
Here’s a quick summary of what’s on this page:
- How some radio broadcasting schools in Florida put you at a disadvantage.
- The two things you need to break into Florida radio.
- How, under BMG’s unique mentor-apprentice program, you are trained by a working broadcaster in an actual radio station in your local area.
- Why BMG’s program is superior to brick and mortar broadcasting schools.
- Why BMG costs so much less than traditional radio broadcasting schools in Florida.
Since you are searching for radio broadcasting schools in Florida, you’ll obviously want to choose a broadcasting school that’s the best fit for your learning style, budget and schedule.
Our goal here is to equip you with insider information that will best enable you to choose which one of the radio broadcasting schools in Florida is the best fit for you.
Two Things You Need to Break In, Two Kinds Programs to Supply Them
Florida has over 650 radio stations throughout the state with a wide variety of formats. This presents major job opportunities for those who graduate from one of the radio broadcasting schools in Florida who can get your foot in the door at one of those 650 stations from day one of your training.
Whatever your chosen specialty, whether it’s being a DJ, sportscaster, newscaster or talk show host, there are two things you’ll almost certainly need before station managers and program directors will put you in front of a mic. Those are:
- Broadcasting Skills. These include your vocal presentation and delivery and familiarity with station equipment and procedures
- Industry contacts. These are industry professionals already in broadcasting who you know and who know you, and who are willing to recommend you for job openings, or hire you themselves.
There are also two choices for learning what you need to know to break into Florida radio. These are:
- Brick and Mortar Radio Broadcasting Schools in Florida.
- Radio Apprenticeship programs, like the one offered by Broadcasters Mentoring Group (BMG).
Brick and Mortar Schools
These types of radio broadcasting schools in Florida are usually housed in stand-alone buildings, separate and apart from the actual radio broadcasting industry. These are much like a college campus environment, in which you attend classes, listen to lectures, and take notes and tests. They also have studios where you practice broadcasting, though your talents are heard no further than the studio door as these stations are not really on the air.
Brick and mortar rradio broadcasting schools in Florida are usually located in large cities, such as Miami, Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville. You may need to travel or even relocate to attend. And, as in any classroom-oriented school, you need to follow a set schedule that can’t easily be changed to fit your needs.
Your teachers are typically retired broadcasters and the studios may have older equipment, donated by Florida stations when they no longer need it.
Radio Apprenticeship Programs
Apprenticeship is a form of training in which an experienced expert in the field (the mentor) teaches a newcomer (the apprentice) the business, one-on-one, right in the workplace.
BMG has brought this concept to radio with great success. The way our program works is this:
- When you apply, you are linked with a working broadcaster in a radio station right in your area. No need to travel or relocate.
- The broadcaster is in your chosen specialty: DJ, sportscaster, newscaster or talk show host.
- You meet with your mentor regularly, on a schedule that fits your availability. No need to quit a present job while you learn. And you can start the program whenever you wish. There are no set semesters.
- Your are learning on the job in a real radio station where real radio takes place.
- Over time, with your mentor’s feedback and encouragement, your skills grow and grow.
- You can choose either a three-month or six-month program. At completion, BMG certifies you as being ready to go on-air.
The Make or Break Factor: Contacts
But as we’ve said, skills are only part of what you need to break into broadcasting, in Florida or anywhere else.
A recent study showed that more than six of every 10 radio jobs filled happened through contacts … insiders working in the industry. Because brick and mortar schools are isolated from the real world of working radio, they have limited opportunities to meet industry insiders.
Apprenticeship programs suffer no such limit. From day one, you’re in the company of insiders. You get to know them, and they get to know you. Importantly, they have a front row seat to your growth as a broadcaster. This happens almost automatically.
Do your training right and you win more than their respect. You win their recommendation when jobs open, and you may even be hired by your new colleagues themselves if they have that authority.
Would-be broadcasters often complain about how hard it is to get a foot in the door of radio. With an apprenticeship program, you’re already inside that door!
As California radio host Jona Denz Hamilton puts it, “Mentoring will put you on the fast track,” into radio. She might have added that it’s also the inside track.
Best Program, Lowest Cost
In this time of skyrocketing education costs, a BMG apprenticeship program is a tremendous value. Tuition costs are up to 20 times less than a college broadcasting program, and thousands less than a typical brick and mortar broadcasting school. So the best path into broadcasting is also likely to be the lowest cost path.
Take the First Step
Of course, your goal of on-air broadcasting in Florida won’t move ahead until you get on that inside track. The first step is easy and won’t cost a dime to find out more. Click on the radio specialty that interests you below or fill out the contact form on this page. Or simply call BMG at (818) 879-0858.Talk to one of our counselors. They’ll give you more information and answer all your questions. No cost or obligation at all.
Don’t just let the sun shine in Florida. Take this first step and let your career shine too.
Contact BMG today!